WHO ARE WE?
FOR A QUICK LOOK AT WHAT WE DO, SCROLL DOWN AFTER TEXT
We, like you, are retirees from NYSUT locals in Westchester and Putnam Counties. Some of us were active in our local unions, some of us were not. But we all shared a desire to keep in touch with our colleagues, with our profession, with our unions-NYSUT and AFT, and NEA, and with issues affecting us as retirees and with educational/health issues which still concern us. We are teachers, clericals, SRP's, nurses and other health professionals.
We began in the early 1990's, when there was no county or state union department specifically dedicated to the needs of retirees, under the leadership of Mildred Zimmerman, of the Greenburg Federation, our first president. We began small, but as word of our activities spread we grew, and today we number just about 1000 members! As we grew, the idea of retiree groups caught on state wide; we now number 161,000 in the state and continue to grow, and NYSUT has dedicated a department and a vice president to servicing the needs of the many retirees in New York. We meet, we share information with each other, we provide information on topics of importance to retired members: legislation which may affect our pensions, our medical coverage; Medicare and Social Security; identity theft and how to avoid it; and many other topics which arise and may affect our members. We sponsor and attend luncheons periodically; we organize conferences with speakers on interesting and informative topics; we travel together and have an active program of organizing excursions from single day to multi day trips to exciting locations; we are active politically, proving information on current legislation, lobbying in Albany, organizing and manning phone banks during local budget elections and state and national elections. Retiree representatives attend and participate in developing union policies affecting retirees at the NYSUT and AFT conventions. We are active in community affairs, volunteering at food banks, with the Salvation Army at holiday time, participating in walks for cancer etc., in the communities where we live. In short, we are active, committed and organized.
We are serious when warranted, we have fun together often, we learn from each other, we help in our communities, and we stay active in body and mind, which helps us stay "young!" in spirit. As a recent retiree of the year put at a recent NYSUT RA," we are retired, not expired!" WE ARE YOU! The officers who make this council run are from your ranks, they are elected by the membership; these positions are open to all, as is membership on any of our committees. WE WANT YOU TO JOIN US. Go to the link on the left of our home page marked HOW TO JOIN, click the link and you will get the information needed to join us and participate fully in our activities. We hope you will join us soon, and share in our activities and keep in touch with colleagues and the profession. We look forward to welcoming you.
SOME OF OUR ACTIVITIES ON YOUR BEHALF INCLUDE:
* Representing you as we lobby in Albany with the "NYSUT Committee of 100"
* Representing you as we lobby for legislation in Washington DC
* Representing you at the NYSUT and AFT Conventions
* Publishing a bi-monthly newsletter for your information
* Producing our website at "www.westputretirees.com" with up to date information on activities and travel
* Staff phone banks at election time
* Establish local committees to allow for member input
* Hold workshops of interest to our members: including, Pre-retirement; Legal & financial planning in retirement; Medicare & Medicare Advantage Programs
* Hold annual conference day with seminars of interest to our members
* Hold two luncheons/year where members can get together with old friends and enjoy an excellent lunch
* Raise monies for the Food Bank
* Provide for scholarships for students in Westchester/Putnam
* REACT committee raises monies to assist children in our local schools with needed supplies
* SPONSOR DAY AND EXTENDED TRIPS WHICH INCLUDE ALL EXPENSES; THEATER TRIPS TO WESTCHESTER BROADWAY THEATRE